Before we begin…I do not claim to be Emily Post or Martha Stewart. When I have friends over and entertain – I also want to have fun! That’s why I had them over! So here’s some tips to hosting and enjoying a GREAT Cocktail Party
The Perfect Cocktail Party begins with what else? A perfect cocktail! So…let’s begin shall we?
- Have 1 signature cocktail and do it well. You could have beer, wine, and one cocktail. You could have other boozes and simple mixes. But focus your efforts on making one signature drink. Something new that you haven’t had at your friends before! Suggestions you ask? Of course I have them!
- Cocktail Parties definitely need food…but you do not want to spend your night making food do you? Again, focus is the key. Have one hot appetizer, one or two simple dips that can be made ahead of time, a nice cheese tray or anti-pasta tray and call it a day. You didn’t invite your friends for dinner. They don’t have to have 5 courses. Some nice easy to eat snacks that taste amazing! So keep it focused. Ideas?
- Hot Snacks
- Cold Snacks (pre-made for an easy party)
- How much to buy? For a 2-3 hour party (assuming you know what your friends preferences are to drink):
- Plan on 2 wine drinkers sharing a normal size wine bottle
- Beer drinkers? 3-4 bottles a piece
- Cocktails plan on 2-3 cocktails per person
- Have a couple of choices of soda (diet and not) for the friends who are driving
- If you would like a longer party ~ Serve a dessert with coffee. Dessert is a great way to finish any party. You do not need to get carried away, simple but delish desserts will do.
- Set up the bar in a central location (so you don’t have to hide in the kitchen all night). The bar area will become the centerpiece. If you’re lucky enough to have an open floor plan by all means use the open kitchen! If you’re not – find a place that has comfy seating around and put up a temporary bar there! Put wine and beer out (use a giant ice bucket if you feel you need to)
- Have fun! Don’t sweat the small stuff. You invited these people over because you like them. They do not want to come to your house and never see you (because you’re cooking). They don’t want you to disappear because EEEKKK you NEED to find something that you forgot. Relax. They came cause THEY like YOU!