Swiss Poppy Bread is so tasty! Make it as an appetizer or use it as a side dish – either way everyone will love it!
My mom used to make what I am calling Swiss Poppy Bread when I was growing up – so yup – this is not a brand new recipe of any sort! It’s a good old “I found it in my mom’s hand written cook book” kind of recipe. I don’t even know if it had a proper name, but I decided that Swiss Poppy Bread was good enough for me! I don’t know about you, but sometimes instead of reinventing the wheel I go through my mom’s old stuff. I LOVE those recipes and they bring me back to being a kid!
I used Swiss Poppy Bread as a snack bread/appetizer – but it would be delicious in place of a plain garlic bread with dinner. It’s good with just about anything! I like to have it on a Friday night with a cocktail. If I make tons, we eat this an a protein type app as our dinner. My boys LOVE Swiss Poppy Bread and so everyone is completely happy…which makes ME happy. But I’m not going to lie – I’d totally serve this with spaghetti too!
My mom’s original recipe calls for a spice called beau monde…I could NOT find it in NJ. If you can find it – use that 😉 but if it’s not available I used celery salt instead (one of the main ingredients in beau monde spice). Maybe it’s a midwest thing? Either way the recipe turned out delish – and you should make it this week!
For More Fun Appetizers using Bread check out:
- 1 long loaf of french bread (or 2 smaller) cut into inch slices (but not cut through to the bottom)
- 1 1/2 sticks of softened butter
- 2 Tbsp grated onion (or minced)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp of beau monde OR 1/2 tsp of celery salt
- 1/2 pound of swiss cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients except bread and cheese together
- Spread into cuts on the french bread, reserving a small amount
- Add swiss cheese into cuts (I cut all slices in 1/2)
- Spread the rest of the mixture on top of the bread
- Wrap bread in foil, leaving only the top exposed
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
- Serve immediately