Need a simple dessert that delivers great taste? Apple Fritter Cake is a tender cake with a layer of apples and a delicious glaze on top.
Apple Fritter Cake
Fall is in the air around here, you can literally smell the change. Personally, this is my very favorite time of the year. I love the cool crisp mornings and evenings, the pleasant daytime temps and all of the traditional flavors of fall.
You know: apples, caramel, pumpkin, cinnamon, let alone combining some of them together…now that’s an even bigger love. So much to love about fall flavors.
Apples are abundant right now, everywhere! It is the perfect time to share a new recipe using apples as part of an ongoing series we participate in: the 30 Day Recipe Challenge. The past theme’s that we’ve participated in include: Lemon, No-Bake, and Strawberries.
Be sure to peek at those posts because there are some sensational treats by not only us but our blogging friends. Also, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to see all the other delicious Apple creations from our fellow bloggers participating in this round.
I chose to make an Apple Fritter Cake for a couple of reasons. Apple Fritters are my pastry of choice when I get to pick one from the bakery.
I love the light layer of glaze atop of the fritter and the juicy bits of apple and cinnamon once you bite in. I also wanted a cake that had apples and cinnamon which was easy enough to whip up and get me out of the kitchen without too much fuss.
This cake is very simple to prepare, a basic batter is layered between a luscious filling of cinnamon sautéed apples. There’s also a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar in there too, it adds a nice touch.
The final component is a glaze that gets poured over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Mmmm, so yummy!
Other tasty desserts to try:
Looking for more apple recipes? Try these!
Caramel Apple Mug Cake | Mildly Meandering
Salted Caramel Apple Pizza | Snacks and Sips
Apple Pie Cream Cheese | Who Needs A Cape?
An apple a day will keep anyone away if thrown hard enough. author unknown
- 1.5 cups apples, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 t water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 6 T milk
- For filling: combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and water in small non-stick skillet. Cook over low 5-7 minutes or until sauce is thickened and apples are a bit softened, stirring occassionally. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- For filling topper: combine brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Set aside.
- For batter: Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in applesauce and vanilla, mix until combined. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to the batter alternating with with yogurt, ending with dry ingredients.
- Spoon half of batter into prepared pan. Top with cooled apple mixture, spread evenly. Sprinkle 2/3 of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over top of apples. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over top of batter.
- Bake approximately 45-50 minutes until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- For glaze: In small bowl mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk with a whisk until smooth.
- When cake has been removed from over pour over top of hot cake, you may need to tilt pan to get glazed into all corners and cover top completely.
- Allow cake to cool a bit and glaze to harden slightly prior to serving.
I used Golden Delicious apples because that's what I currently had on hand, use whatever type of apple you enjoy.
Recipe slightly adapted from PiaRecipes
Check out all the other delicious APPLE recipes below from bloggers who took part in our 30 Day Apple Challenge.
- Easy Apple and Cranberry Roll Ups by Lovefoodies
- Old-Fashioned Apple Cake by The Kitchen is My Playground
- Overnight Apple Oatmeal with Praline Topping by Manila Spoon
- Apple Pie Cupcakes by Num’s the Word
- Apple Pecan Dump Cake by Blessed Beyond Crazy
- Homemade chocolate apples by Culinary Ginger
- Overnight Streusel Apple Cinnamon French Toast by Noshing With The Nolands
- Apple Crumb Cake by Life Currents
- Apple Fritter Cake by Who Needs A Cape?
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Sausage, Apples and Onions by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Caramel Apple Cobbler by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch