Here comes comfort food in the form of Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham. Use up that leftover holiday ham and make this homestyle cheesy dish.
Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham
Has this ever happened at our house? The holiday is over, whether it be Christmas or Easter and days later you’re still eating leftover ham. Ham for days!!!!
Now don’t get me wrong, the first couple of days this is a really good thing. But, after a few days, you get those pieces at the end that aren’t exactly pretty.
You know the ones I’m talking about, the small remnants of larger pieces that you probably whacked off the bone. Never fear though, you can use them in a variety of ways.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite ways. Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham. This is total comfort food in my book!
You’d be surprised by how much ham you have after trimming those remaining pieces. You’ll want about 2 cups of ham pieces for this recipe. Hams are the gift that keeps on giving.
If your ham was of the honey-baked variety, the flavor will add a subtle sweetness with the macaroni and cheese. It is surprisingly good.
Comforting dishes such as Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham are always welcomed in my house. I love the combination of noodles, cheese, and other additions.
In particular, this hearty dish is great because it uses up leftovers. It also is a budget-friendly meal. More than likely you’ll have the rest of the ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry.
You can be flexible when making this dish too. Look in your refrigerator, see what types of cheese need using up and throw them in. Have some cooked bacon? Throw it in too!
Don’t skip the Panko topping friends, this is one of my favorite things about this recipe. It adds just a nice buttery crunch on top of the noodles.
What ingredients do you need to make Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham?
- Leftover ham
- Macaroni noodles
- Panko breadcrumbs
Some tips from me for making Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Ham?
- Use whatever cheese you prefer. I used Sharp Cheddar.
- Add in some frozen peas.
- Like things spicy? Add in some Sriracha.
- After baking, broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the top just slightly.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
Other great Macaroni & Cheese recipes:
Cattle Drive Casserole
Cattle Drive Casserole, the ultimate comfort food. Layers of cheese, meat and more cheese make for this satisfying casserole beyond delicious.
Try these Macaroni & Cheese recipes too:
Panera’s Mac & Cheese | Food, Folks and Fun
One Pot Mac and Cheese | One Pot Recipes
Mac N Cheese Party Bites | Lovefoodies
- 16 oz. dry pasta (I used seashell)
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar, divided
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 T butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large pot boil water & cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large saucepan melt 2 T butter, whisk in flour and continue to cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic powder, salt and pepper & milk. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheese, stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, stir together with cheese mixture, ham and 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Spoon into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Combine Panko breadcrumbs and 2 T melted butter, sprinkle over top of macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes. Broil 2 minutes after baking if you'd like breadcrumbs & cheese to crisp.
Find this recipe and more at the Weekend Potluck!
Updated with new pictures: February 2019.