This Beefy Country Potato Casserole is a hearty dish at the entire family will enjoy! With cheese, potatoes, beef, and corn what’s not to love?
Beefy Country Potato Casserole
I’m a huge fan of casseroles! And some of my go-to recipes in my house are in the casserole category. What’s not to love? Basically, it’s comfort food in a casserole dish!
Now you may recognize this dish and even refer to it as Tater Tot Casserole. There are a million variations of this beloved casserole that originate back in the 1950s when tater tots were born.
My version is similar to one I found on Pinterest referred to as Cowboy Casserole (actually the complete title of this recipe makes me laugh, “Cowboy Casserole … looks like dog food … tastes delicious”) and while you’ve gotta admit it isn’t the prettiest dish, boy is it good!
There are a couple of things that I use specifically in my version that I wanted to note. First, I use the frozen potato rounds, or sometimes they are labeled as “crowns,” these are circle-shaped and thinner than the traditional cylinder shape of a tater tot.
Why do I use them? They lay flatter in the pan, which is nice when layering and they are thinner which means I know they are heated through all the way.
Also, I use cream of celery soup, this is a personal preference and you are welcome to use cream of mushroom or even cream of chicken, or if you’re super zealous and make your own cream soup base, even better!
Try adding in these items to Beefy Country Potato Casserole:
- Peas and carrots
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Diced Green Chilies
- Dijon Mustard
Other family favorite casseroles:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 1/4 t Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 30 oz bag frozen potato rounds (they are flatter versions of tater tots)
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- To skillet add olive oil, garlic and diced onion, saute 1-2 minutes, add in ground beef and cook thoroughly. Drain off grease. Stir in corn and set aside.
- In large bowl stir together Cream of Celery soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Add in ground beef mixture, stir well.
- Layer 1/2 of potato rounds in bottom of 9x13 dish, spread ground beef mixture over top of potato rounds. Layer remaining potato rounds on top of ground beef mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup shredded cheese on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.