Hatch Green Chile Chicken Casserole will be a dinner that is a family favorite. Great for a large family or make two meals and freeze one for later!
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Casserole
Hatch Green Chile Chicken Casserole is one of those dinners that is great to put together on a cold rainy day. There are so many choices to make when making this too.
If you prefer hotter chiles then use all hot. You can make the Spanish rice from scratch like our Homestyle Spanish Rice or do what I did and buy a can of Spanish rice seasoning and make it that way.
There are also loads of instant rice options out there as well. I prefer to keep my cheeses separated, but feel free to combine them and sprinkle where you feel there needs to be a layer of molten cheese.
The Hatch Green Chile variety comes from the Hatch Valley region of New Mexico.
I love this recipe because it really will feed 8-12 depending on who you are feeding. For my family of 4 (2 adults and a 5 and 6-year-old), this recipe will make 4 meals.
I like to divide the recipe up into 2 square dishes and freeze one for a later meal after baking. We serve this up usually with slices of avocado and a squeeze of lime, sometimes an extra dollop of sour cream!
Are Hatch Green Chiles hot?
They are normally no hotter than a jalapeño pepper, but usually milder in heat.
When are Hatch Green Chiles available?
Usually August through September. Depending on the growing conditions the timing can vary.
What are other ways to use Hatch Green Chiles?
- Mac and cheese
Other delicious casseroles:
- 1 lb cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 2 c Spanish rice
- 1 c roasted corn (I roasted off a can of corn in a dry frying pan for about 5 minutes)
- 1 1/2 c pico can substitute with drained cans of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 10 oz can cream of chicken
- 1 c water
- 8 ounce can chopped hatch green chiles (I had one mild 4 oz can and one hot 4 oz can)
- 10 oz can of rinsed black beans
- 18 corn tortillas
- 10 oz Jalapeno Jack grated cheese
- 10 oz Colby Jack grated cheese
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and heat oven to 350℉.
- Combine the Spanish rice, pico or Rotel tomatoes and black beans to the roasted corn.
- In a sauce pan mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, water and Hatch green chiles and heat on low for 5-10 minutes until heated through, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and keep warm.
- Ladle some of the cream of chile chicken mixture into the bottom of the baking dish (avoid adding any chicken to the baking dish at this point).
- Put down the first layer of corn tortillas, six should cover most of the pan and they may overlap in some areas.
- Add half of the remaining cream of chile chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and then sprinkle with half the jalapeno jack cheese.
- Make another layer of 6 corn tortillas and spread the rice/corn/black bean mixture on top of the 2nd layer of corn tortillas. Sprinkle with the remaining jalapeno jack cheese.
- Add a third layer of 6 corn tortillas and then pour the remaining half of the cream of chile chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle the Colby jack cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until heated through.