Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew, a hearty dish that the whole family will enjoy. Tender chicken, carrots, potatoes in a thick sauce, the perfect combination.
Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew
NOTE: This post has been fully updated 10/2019 with pictures and text. I hope you enjoy!
It’s been a harsh winter here in Michigan, every year I think I say this but truly this one has been bad. A lot more snow & cold than we are accustomed to in these parts.
To combat the extra cold temps, comfort foods have taken a footing in our household. Take this Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew for example; hearty, satisfying and easy-peasy thanks to your good old slow cooker!
If you need a comforting dish that sticks to your ribs and leaves you satisfied, give Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew a try. I’ve included freezer instructions along with the recipe below.
With carrots, potatoes, and onions, this is a flavorful dish that also reheats well for leftovers. So get your crockpot out and give the family a new meal to love.
This isn’t a very saucy dish, there’s just enough sauce that it coats the chicken and veggies nicely. If you’d like a saucier dish, add more liquids at the end.
Pair alongside a glass of white wine, some fluffy biscuits and try to forget the freezing temps and piles of snow (at least for dinner time)!
What ingredients do you need to make Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew?
- Chicken Breasts
- Baby Carrots
- Red Skinned Potatoes
Some tips for making Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew:
- Freezer meal instructions are included in the recipe card.
- If you enjoy a saucier dish, double liquid and cornstarch added at the end.
- Like additional veggies? Throw them in. This recipe would be great with some peas or green beans.
- If you are prepping this dish for a freezer meal, I chose not to freeze the potatoes. This is just my personal preference.
Simple steps for making Rustic Chicken Slow Cooker Stew:
Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken chunks to the slow cooker
Add water and seasonings to the slow cooker.
Add veggies and potatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine all ingredients. Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
At the end of the cooking time, whisk cornstarch into milk and stir into the slow cooker. Cook 15 additional minutes on high.
Other great slow cooker meals:
Even more slow cooker dinner inspiration:
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, wedged
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ITEMS THAT DO NOT GET FROZEN:
- 1.5 lbs red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place chicken, seasonings & all vegetables into slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6 hours.
- Whisk cornstarch into milk, stir into slow cooker and cook 15 additional minutes on high.
***FREEZER MEAL INSTRUCTIONS: Place chicken, seasonings, carrots & onions into gallon-sized freezer bag. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Dump bag into slow cooker, add potatoes. Cook on low 6 hours. Whisk cornstarch into milk, stir into slow cooker and cook 15 additional minutes on high.***
Adapted from: Slow Cooker Country Chicken Stew