Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup is a comforting meal that feeds a crowd. Grab your crockpot, this is an easy to make flavor-packed dinner you’ll love.
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup
Last week I realized that I haven’t shared a soup recipe on Who Needs A Cape? in quite some time. We’re still knee deep in winter here in Michigan so soup is on the menu frequently.
I had purchased a huge package of chicken. You know the one, a tray that’s loaded with enough chicken breasts to feed a small army.
First I made sheet pan chicken fajitas which are one of my personal favorites (although I’ve never gotten my recipe posted). I still had one pound of chicken breasts awaiting a dinner selection.
There are all sorts of versions of slow cooker chicken soups. I wanted to make one that was similar to a chicken tortilla soup but a bit different.
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup is super easy to prepare with loads of flavors. Best part, it is a versatile recipe which you can adjust to suit your family or what you have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator.
The basis of this soup begins with chicken stock, chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, frozen corn, and frozen shredded hash brown potatoes. These ingredients along with seasonings slow cook away while you are busy accomplishing other tasks, gotta love that!
This soup is such an easy and delicious dish. You can throw all the ingredients into your slow cooker in less than 5 minutes. I do hope you give this comforting dish a try!
What do you need to make Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup?
- Chicken broth
- Chicken breasts
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced green chilies
- Frozen corn
- Frozen hash brown potatoes
- Shredded cheese
Some tips for making Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup:
- Up the heat level by adding: cayenne pepper, chipotle powder or Tabasco sauce.
- Add in black beans or chopped bell pepper if you desired.
- Top with: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.
- I cooked on high for 4 hours, with an additional 30 minutes of cooking time to thicken at the end.
- Substitute 2 cans of Rotel for the diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Crockpot Cubed Steaks
Don't you love a hearty meal that's easy to make? Crockpot Cubed Steaks is just that! Cooked in a slow cooker means it is oh so tender, & flavorfully good.
If you want a simple and tasty meal the family will love, try these easy Crockpot Enchiladas. Loads of flavor directly from your slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Beef Tips & Gravy
Easy Crockpot Mongolian Beef
Easy Crockpot Mongolian Beef is a flavor-packed meal from your slow cooker that's tender and delicious! This will be a family favorite after just one try!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup | Life Currents
Crock Pot Taco Soup | Served Up With Love
Slow Cooker Turkey Dumpling Soup | Mildly Meandering
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- In slow cooker combine: chicken broth, chicken breasts, garlic, onion, tomatoes, green chilies, corn, shredded potatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook 4 hours on high.
- Remove chicken breasts to a bowl and shred with 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken to slow cooker.
- Whisk together half and half and flour until thoroughly combined. Pour into slow cooker and stir. Add shredded cheese.
- Allow to slow cooker 30 more minutes.
Optional: top with additional shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and sour cream.