Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup is a fantastic meal with loads of flavor. Easy to prepare, let your crockpot cook away all day. This will be a family favorite!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup
In just a few short days one of my most favorite food days of the year is happening. No, not Christmas or Easter. Cinco de Mayo my friends, May the 5th is one tasty day that I believe needs to be celebrated fully.Of course, celebrating Cinco de Mayo with truly authentic Mexican dishes would be ideal. Let’s be real here, life is busy and we have so much going on during the month of May and early June this year that I’ll settle for simply delicious Mexican “inspired” dishes. (Keep reading…I’m going to circle back to an easy Cinco de Mayo recipe.)
Why are we so busy? Child #1 is getting married the first weekend in June, and we are in full wedding prep mode once the calendar hits May. We are very excited for her and welcoming a son-in-law into the mix. Child #3 (you know who you are, ahem) is also popping in for a weekend as her school semester will be over.
Before May rolls around we need to enjoy the rest of April and part of that includes the latest edition of Freaky Friday! If you aren’t familiar with this fun blogging event, allow me to explain.
We get together with some of our blogging friends a few times during the year. A date is chosen and each blogger is assigned another blogger from the group. You pick a recipe from their website to remake for your blog and then there’s a big reveal on, you guessed it…Freaky Friday.
What’s so fun about this event is you keep it all secret. No one knows who has been assigned whom. Well, of course, someone organizes it all and knows the details. That special person is Michaela from An Affair from the Heart. Thank you for another great event Michaela.
Without any further delay, let me tell you who I was assigned:
Amy is the brainchild behind the delicious blog, House of Nash Eats. She lives in the golden sunshine of California with her family.
I’ve been in blogging groups with Amy for a couple of years now. I was familiar with some of her recipes but found it a pure joy to look through her blog in search of my Freaky Friday choice.
Much of her amazing food inspiration hails from her travels. You’ll find many globally inspired recipes on her site including Thai Pork Tenderloin, Grilled Mexican Street Corn, and Korean Beef Bulgogi Tacos.
No doubt you’ll find meal inspiration at House of Nash Eats, be sure to stop over and peruse her recipes. I ultimately chose a flavorful dish that my family really enjoyed and can easily be made for Cinco de Mayo: Cheesy Taco Soup.
When deciding upon a recipe to make from Amy’s site, I found her Cheesy Taco Soup, it looked so good. Upon reading her directions I was sold when she included slow cooker directions. You know we love a good slow cooker recipe around here.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco soup is a comforting dish that has so many amazing flavors that blend together wonderfully. It is easy to make and has just the right amount of spice without crazy amounts of heat.
This soup would be great for tailgating season or as an alternative to traditional tacos on Taco Tuesday. The seasonings really make this a delightful meal.
What do you need to make Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup?
- Ground beef
- Seasonings: chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika
- Pinto beans
- Diced green chilies
- Enchilada sauce
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Pepper-Jack cheese
- TOPPINGS: crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, crema, or diced avocado
Some tips for making Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup:
- I used a 6qt slow cooker and cooked on high for 4 hours.
- You can cook on low for 6 hours.
- Use whatever beans you prefer: black, kidney or pinto.
- Substitute ground turkey or ground chicken if desired.
- Like things spicy? Add in hot sauce or cayenne pepper to take it up a notch or two.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth to reduce sodium.
Minimal adjustments were made to Amy’s original recipe, they are minor. I omitted the diced bell pepper and water and chose to use one large can of pinto beans vs. kidney beans and black beans.
The three kinds of cheese go in at the end of the cooking time. After ladling into bowls I topped with crumbled tortilla chips, sour cream, and cilantro. So yummy!
Thank you for a delicious slow cooker soup, Amy! I’m always happy to find a new recipe that my family will devour.
Scroll all the way down to find all the recipes in this edition of Freaky Friday. You don’t want to miss any of them!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 30 oz can pinto beans
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened & cubed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepepr jack cheese, shredded
Brown ground beef and onion until fully cooked, drain grease.
Add into slow cooker: cooked ground beef and onions. Sprinkle flour over top and stir in.
Add to mixture: garlic, spices and seasonings, beans, green chilies, salsa, enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on high 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Just prior to serving, stir in cheeses. Serve when they are completely melted in.
Serve with toppings of choice.
Find this recipe and more at The Weekend Potluck!
Take a look at all of our Spring 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- A Grande Life – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip
- An Affair from the Heart – Margarita Dip with Salted Pretzels
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – BLT Pasta Salad
- Bowl Me Over – Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Hostess at Heart – Blueberry Buckle Recipe – Incredibly Easy To Make
- House of Nash Eats – Asparagus Tart
- Kylee Cooks – No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Life Currents – Blackened Shrimp Pasta
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Spicy Thai Basil Slaw
- Mildly Meandering – Mediterranean Scalloped Potatoes
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Grilled Peach Caprese Salad
- Take Two Tapas – Spicy Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Shrimp
- The Foodie Affair – Coconut Pie with Creamy Custard Filling
- The Speckled Palate – Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- West Via Midwest – Air Fryer Cherry Pies
- Who Needs a Cape? – Slow Cooker Cheesy Taco Soup