Warm Bean Dip also known as Texas Trash is such a great appetizer for tailgating, parties, the holiday season and so much more. Delicious and easy to make.
Warm Bean Dip also known as Texas Trash
We’re entering a few days with an excessive heat warning in our area. This means I’ll be hibernating at home. Lori and sticky, icky overly humid temps are far from friends. I’m perfectly content avoiding the high temps. My plan is to stay at home as much as possible and catch up on some movies with my little girls.Movie watching is the perfect time to enjoy some easy snack items. Of course, we’ll make some popcorn and have something sweet, those are givens. Maybe a fun drink too!
If we watch a movie closer to dinnertime, I’m thinking we might just enjoy some “appetizer” type foods and skip a regular meal altogether. Sounds like a good plan, right? Well, today’s new recipe is the perfect snack item for a night in watching movies.
Once again Freaky Friday has arrived. This means I’m participating in a blogging event with some blogger friends.
A few times during the year dates are chosen and each blogger participating is assigned another blogger from the group. You then pick a recipe from their website to remake for your blog and then there’s a big reveal on, you guessed it…Freaky Friday. Always a fun and tasty event!
The fun part of this event is you keep it all secret. Shhh! No one knows who has been assigned whom. Now, of course, someone organizes it all and knows the details. That special person is Michaela from An Affair from the Heart. And guess who I was assigned for this round…MICHAELA! Yup, my assigned blog is:
I’m no stranger to An Affair from the Heart, in fact, I’ve been assigned Michaela’s website in the past. I happily perused her collection of recipes again and had no problem finding a few to try. Michaela is a busy mom of 4, who enjoys summer and her Jeep! Not to mention the fact that her dog is adorable, I always enjoy pics of not just her recipes but her doggy too!
Ultimately, I chose to make a dip from her site. A baked bean dip: Warm Bean Dip also known as Texas Trash! Total yum my friends!
Disclaimer: No offense to our Texan friends, I didn’t name this dip nor did Michaela. If “trash” refers to cheesy, ooey-gooey goodness, then trash it is by all means.
Whatever the name and origin, it boils down to one thing…dip! This is the perfect dip for tailgating, holiday parties, casual entertaining, it is simple and delicious. We adore dips around here!
What do you need to make Warm Bean Dip also known as Texas Trash?
- Refried beans
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Taco seasoning
- Colby-Jack cheese
- OPTIONAL: diced tomato and cilantro
Some tips for making Warm Bean Dip also known as Texas Trash:
- Feel free to use reduced-fat ingredients if desired.
- Like it spicy? Use a “spicy” version of refried beans.
- Like it even spicier? Add a 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder.
- Top with whatever you’d like including diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, and black olives.
- I used an electric mixer to get all the ingredients mixed really well.
- I sprinkled extra Taco Seasoning over the cheese prior to baking.
I really didn’t change Michaela’s recipe very much, just minor adjustments for the tastes of my family. I used regular refried beans, she uses a spicy version. Another change I made was using a Colby-Jack shredded cheese mixture.
After removing from the oven, I let this dip cool a bit and added diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro on top. Feel free to add salsa or even a drizzle of taco sauce. Then grab a big bunch of tortilla chips and start digging in. Trust me, you’ll want to make this dip over and over again, so good!
Be sure to stop over to An Affair from the Heart, you’ll find all sorts of enticing recipes to make for every occasion!
Thank you for this yummy dip recipe Michaela and for once again grabbing the reins and organizing this yummy event. Happy Freaky Friday everyone! Be sure to SCROLL DOWN to see all the participating recipes.
- 2 16 ounce cans refried beans
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 3 cups Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In mixing bowl whip refried beans with an electric mixer.
Add in cream cheese and mix thoroughly with beans.
Add sour cream and taco seasoning, mix until blended.
Spread into prepared pan. Top with shredded cheese.
Bake approximately 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Take a look at all of our Summer 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart –Summer Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Poppy Seed Dressing
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Greek Chicken Salad with Lemon Oregano Dressing
- Bowl Me Over – Mexican Coleslaw
- Hostess at Heart – Cherry Quick Bread
- House of Nash Eats – Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Easy White Pizza Tarts
- Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Thai Shrimp Curry
- Take Two Tapas – Caprese Empanadas
- The Speckled Palate – Cherry Bourbon Slush
- West Via Midwest – Cornbread Tamale Pie
- Who Needs a Cape? – Warm Bean Dip a.k.a. Texas Trash