Meaty Cheese Tortellini Casserole is one delicious meal! Easy enough for weeknights, you’ll love the flavors in this pasta dish.
Pasta! Always a hit at our house, so I’m always looking for new ways to prepare and keep the family happy. Introducing an easy dish: Meaty Cheese Tortellini Casserole! Gotta love the ease of casseroles, one pan thrown into the oven which comes out a hearty delight.
This casserole incorporates one of my favorite easy ingredients to keep on hand, frozen cheese tortellini. Nice to always have a bag in the freezer, cheese tortellini is extremely versatile and inexpensive. Part of this recipe is my ever so easy meat sauce. This is my “I don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen today” sauce, not my regular meat sauce, which needs time to simmer away & has chopped fresh garlic in it. If you are truly scrambling for time (which we all are from time to time) use a jarred sauce, no biggie. Slice up some store bought Italian bread or whip up a batch of Cheddar Bay Biscuits and POOF dinner in a pinch!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with puree
- 8 oz. water
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t garlic salt
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 19 oz package frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In sauce pan heat olive oil, add ground beef and cook thoroughly, drain fat.
- After draining fat, add crushed tomatoes, water, oregano, basil, garlic salt and brown sugar. Simmer on low 20-25 minutes until flavors have combined.
- Cook frozen cheese tortellini according to package directions, drain.
- Spread thick layer of sauce on bottom of casserole dish. Place 2 layers in the following order: cheese tortellini, sauce, mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes, browning cheese under broiler for 1-2 minutes if desired.