Liven up your comfort food with Cheesy Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole. Perfect for dinner, potlucks or as a holiday addition. So delicious!
Cheesy Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole
If there’s ever a dish that brings forth true comfort food status it’s Cheesy Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole. The worlds of comforts have collided in a big way. Not only do we have cheese, but there’s also creamy hash browns, and sausage all piled together to form one glorious casserole.
By definition, a casserole is: food (such as meat, noodles, and vegetables) baked together and served in a deep dish
(as defined by Merriam-Webster). Now, this definition obviously leaves much room for interpretation and customization.
And right there is the beauty of a casserole, you can customize this dish and most other casserole recipes to suit the tastes of your diners or to what you have readily available in your pantry/refrigerator.
What I personally love about this casserole, in particular, is the versatility it brings especially heading into the holiday season. You could literally serve this at any time of the day.
It’s perfect alongside freshly scrambled eggs on a holiday morning, prepare the dish the night before and pop into the oven in the morning. Or serve at a potluck or even weekend brunch. I’ve made this for dinner and it was hearty, delicious and we’ll say it again…comforting.
It is a fantastic small kitchen appliance to have during the holiday season. You can prepare so many dishes in it and free up your stovetop which is always a valuable commodity when preparing holiday meals.
Back to the customization portion of this dish. I used Cream of Celery soup, just a personal preference. Go ahead and use whatever you have in the pantry, Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken will work just as well.
Feel free to also spice this casserole up when serving with some Sriracha or even salsa, my boys always go for the heat no matter what I serve.
Tell us, what’s your favorite casserole to serve?
Here are some of our faves:
- 2 lbs breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz French Onion Dip
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/8 t ground pepper
- 1/4 t Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 30 oz pkg frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large skillet cook crumble breakfast sausage and cook thoroughly, drain when cooked.
- Combine together: 1 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, soup, sour cream, French Onion Dip, onion, bell pepper, pepper, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, and hash browns.
- Spread 1/2 of the mixture into bottom of baking dish. Top with sausage and layer with remaining hash brown mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10 minutes. If desired broil for 2-3 minutes to crisp cheese on top.
Feel free to substitute Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup.
I also prepared this dish in my Slow Cooker Casserole, the directions are the same except I cooked on low approximately 3 hours without foil on top, just the glass lid. Perfect for potlucks and parties.