This is a sponsored conversation on behalf of Mahatma Rice. All opinions are 100% mine.
Serve this Savory Sausage and Apple Rice Casserole with your holiday meals. Delicious alternative to traditional stuffing, is easy to prepare and so good.
Can you believe the holiday season is upon us again? Before you know it we’ll be turning our calendars to 2016, but before that happens we have so many fabulous opportunities to enjoy holiday food. If you’re anything like me you’re looking forward to the holiday season which affords us opportunities to enjoy our family and friends while dining together. Friends and family gathering together and enjoying the season, it gives me the warm fuzzies! So many holiday memories are made while gathering around the table enjoying traditional holiday meals, wouldn’t you agree?
I’ve always enjoyed preparing holiday dishes, everything from oven roasted turkey and ham to the sides, which are my personal favorites. Mashed potatoes, corn casserole, warm buttery biscuits…mmmm, I could go on and on! One side dish that I absolutely love is stuffing, homemade from scratch stuffing. Not to boast, but I make fantastic stuffing, problem is and it’s a big problem…my family doesn’t like stuffing. I’ve stopped making it because I’m the only one eating it. I’ve found a way around my problem though, by preparing this Savory Sausage and Apple Rice Casserole, I win. It has all the flavors of stuffing that I enjoy (minus the breads) and my family LOVES it! Right down to my finicky 4-year-old, they all eat it! PS-I’ve even served this as a main course meal and it was devoured!
The recipe for Savory Sausage and Apple Rice Casserole is very simple but has loads of delicious holiday flavors. One of my secrets to preparing this dish is using Mahatma Jasmine Rice, a pantry staple in my house. I love the sweet fragrant undertones that Mahatma Jasmine Rice brings to dishes, the perfect addition to this or any casserole.
Using Mahatma Jasmine Rice in this side dish helped me create a wonderful recipe which has all the flavors that I enjoy with a big juicy serving of turkey, ideal for holiday dining. As a time-saver this casserole can also be prepared ahead of time and reheated prior to serving. I can hardly wait to start my shopping list for Thanksgiving dinner, and couldn’t be more excited to share this Savory Sausage and Apple Rice Casserole with my family and friends!
- 1 lb roll breakfast sausage
- 1.5 t dried sage
- 1.5 t dried thyme
- 1 t salt
- 1 t ground pepper
- 1 cup apple, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 T butter
- 1.5 cups Mahatma Jasmine Rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In large non-stick skillet cook crumbled breakfast sausage over medium-high heat. Drain off any fat after sausage is cooked through. Place cooked sausage into large mixing bowl, add all seasonings, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Using same skillet, melt butter. Toss in apples, onion and celery. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until onion is translucent, approximately 5 minutes. (Don't let mixture get too mushy, it will continue cooking in oven). Remove from heat and add to mixing bowl.
- Add into mixing bowl Mahatma Jasmine Rice and chicken broth. Combine all ingredients by stirring well. Add contents to baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake approximately 1 hour until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
For even more flavor use sage breakfast sausage, or a spicy variety.