Dulce de Leche Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches are beyond delicious & so easy to make. Perfect for Christmas, add them to your holiday baking this year.
NOTE: This post has been updated with text and pictures 7/2020. Happy Baking!
Dulce de Leche Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches
I’m super excited to be participating in another edition of FREAKY FRIDAY! If you aren’t sure what that means, let me explain. We were assigned another blogger and from their site given the task of choosing one of their posts to recreate for our own site.
Today we are debuting this recipe! Earlier in 2015 we participated in the first FREAKY FRIDAY and were assigned Stephie Cooks. I made her scrumptious Lemon Crumb Loaf, which everyone just raves about! I make this regularly now because my family adores this recipe!
Not familiar with PicNic you need to be! Nicole is a lovely young woman from New Zealand who wears many hats, very successfully. From neuroscience research and teaching with writing, creating, photographing, and posting family-friendly recipes for main meals, desserts, and baking she’s one busy woman. Plus she’s newly engaged!
I was very excited when I started poking around Nicole’s site, she has a wide range of delicious posts. Knowing that I couldn’t pick just one, I had my daughter help me and we eventually wound up choosing such a fabulous selection. But let me tell you we were totally tempted by her Creamy Chicken and White Wine Ravioli to say the least, then there was the Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake! So many great choices, I pinned a few along the way.
What drew both my daughter and myself to these cookies was the Dulce de Leche. Unfamiliar with Dulce de Leche? You simply MUST try it! I purchased mine (found in the Hispanic section of my market) since I was short on time but you certainly could make your own. I’ve also recently found it in the baking section too!
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de leche is a confection from Latin America prepared by slowly heating sweetened milk to create a substance that derives its flavor from the Maillard reaction, also changing color. It is a very similar caramel in flavor but is thicker.
Dulce de Leche is very similar to a recipe we have on our site for Slow Cooker Caramel which uses sweetened condensed milk. It adds the perfect touch of sweetness to buttercream and to the oatmeal cookies!
I just know you’ll love these cookies as much as we have. With such wonderful buttercream cushioned in-between two tender oatmeal cookies, these are a dreamy treat! Enjoy!
What ingredients do you need to make Dulce de Leche Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches?
- Granulated Sugar & Brown Sugar
- Dulce de Leche
- Baking Soda
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Whipping Cream
- Confectioners Sugar
Some tips for making Dulce de Leche Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches:
- I used a 1.5″ cookie scoop for uniformly shaped cookies.
- Use parchment paper or silicone baking liners for easy cleanup.
- The frosting recipe can be cut in half, it does make a large batch.
- Not feeling like sandwich cookies? Add frosting just to the tops of the cookies. Or skip the frosting altogether and enjoy the tasty cookies all on their own.
- Store cookies in a resealable container.
- I found canned La Lechera Dulce de Leche in the baking aisle. Often it is found in the Hispanic food section in grocery stores.
Simple steps for making Dule de Leche Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches:
Using an electric mixer beat together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
Add in egg and Dulce de Leche, mix to combine thoroughly.
Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.
Next add in the oats, 1 cup at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
Using a 1.5″ cookie scoop place onto parchment-lined baking trays. Bake approximately 10-12 minutes.
Remove from the baking tray and allow to cool thoroughly on wire rack. Cool completely prior to frosting.
For the frosting: beat together butter, whipping cream, and Dulce de Leche until fluffy. Add in confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
Spread frosting onto the bottom of one cookie, top with the second cookie to form a sandwich.
Try these delicious recipes using Dulce de Leche:
Craving more cookies? Try these delicious treats:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon Dulce de Leche
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick cook oats
Dulce de Leche Buttercream:
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons Dulce de Leche
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer beat together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in egg and Dulce de Leche, mix to combine thoroughly.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt. Next add oats, 1 cup at a time mixing completely after each addition.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place on parchment-lined baking trays. Bake approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly.
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: Beat butter until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Mix in heavy cream and Dulce de Leche. Add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Spread buttercream onto bottom of one cookie, top with the second cookie to form a sandwich.
I used a small 1.5" cookie scoop. The recipe yielded 3 dozen cookies, making 15 sandwich cookie (2 cookies per sandwich).
Also, this recipe makes a large amount of buttercream frosting. If you prefer less on your cookies, I would recommend making 1/2 a batch of the frosting. Be warned, these are YUMMY!