Slow Cooker Orange Beer Chicken is a great combination of flavors – your chicken will be a hit with any crowd! Throw on the grill too, so versatile!
Orange Beer Chicken … It’s delish – and I don’t drink beer. The beer gave the chicken a really nice flavor and didn’t allow the orange juice to make it too sweet. It turned out to be a really nice combination.
I love this dish because it really can be used in your slow cooker or on your grill. It’s a great summer meal that will keep you from having to heat up the kitchen!
As with any marinade type dish – the longer the chicken sits in the sauce the more flavor it will have. If you are cooking it in the slow cooker (as I did) then you really don’t need to marinade it – it cooks all day low and slow and absorbs TONS of the flavor. If you are going to grill the chicken – then I would definitely let it sit for 24 hours before grilling. You’re going to love this! I know that I did.
Oh, and if you’re not a drinker – that’s ok. Get a “near” beer – a non-alcohalic beer and use that instead. We aren’t using the beer for alcohol, we are using it for the flavor. And non-alcoholic beer has come a long way with the flavor.
The beer I used is Bell’s Oberon. I realize it’s not available every where so I was not specific in the recipe. I would suggest something like a summer wheat beer – a Blue Moon and Leinenkugal Sunset Wheat, a Sierra Nevada Summer Ale – all of these are good choices!
Definitely serve Orange Beer Chicken with:
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 12 ounce bottle of beer
- 1 12 ounce can of frozen orange juice concentrate
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp of basil
- For Slow cooker place chicken into slow cooker, combine the rest of the ingredients and stir then pour over chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours
- For Grill Place chicken in zip bag, combine other ingredients and pour into bag. Marinade about 24 hours and grill until chicken is thoroughly cooked
- For Freezer meal Place chicken in bag. Combine ingredients and pour into bag with chicken. Freeze. Thaw over night in fridge for slow cooker, thaw completely for grilling