Once you’ve made Croissants with Almond Paste Filling you’ll want them again and again. Perfect baked good for weekend brunch!
Love this challenge. Almond Paste is one of my FAVORITE ingredients ever. I decided to just showcase the paste and make a pretty simple dish. It’s yummy. Hope you enjoy them! The recipe for the croissants comes from the 1970’s version of Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (it’s not in the newer editions!)
Thanks again to The Lady Behind the Curtain for getting us together on this!
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 package (7 ounce) almond paste shredded
- 1/2 - 1 cup of sugar (to taste)
- Cream butter with 1/3 cup flour
- Roll between 2 sheets of wax paper into a 12x6 inch rectangle, chill at least one hour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water
- Heat 3/4 cup milk, sugar and salt until sugar dissolves, cool to lukewarm and put into large bowl adding the yeast mix and 1 egg. Beat well
- Stir in 2 cups of the flour, beat well. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (knead about 3-5 minutes). Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 14 inch square. Place chilled butter mix on one half of dough; fold over other half and seal edges. Roll into a 21x12 inch rectangle seal edges and fold in thirds. Repeat and fold twice. Chill After Each Rolling! After final rolling chill several hours or overnight (covered).
- Cut chilled dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a circle. Cut like a pizza (I used a pizza cutter and got 8 pieces from each circle.
- Mix shredded almond paste and sugar together.
- Put a table spoon or two of the almond paste mixture onto each triangle of dough. Roll like a crescent roll.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and allow to rise (30 minutes to 1 hour)
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 12-14 minutes