Delicious blend of flavors in this favorite holiday snack!
This White Chocolate Candy Cane Popcorn recipe came about after my daughter Madison was at a sleepover party. While there she tried some “gourmet” popcorn that she couldn’t stop raving about. She said it had white chocolate (she doesn’t like “regular” chocolate), peppermint flavor and bits of candy cane, and it was so yummy. The next time I was grocery shopping, I ran across a bag of this popcorn and it was $3.99 and there wasn’t much in the bag, especially for $3.99 (yes, I’m cheap). So, we decided to try to replicate it ourselves and this is what we came up with, it was easy, cheap and oh my goodness, sticky-icky deliciousness! One of those snacks you wanna put down, but just CAN’T! Try it out, you won’t be sorry!
- 1/2 cup un-popped plain popcorn
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 t vegetable oil
- 1/2 t peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- salt to taste
- Pop your popcorn using whatever method you prefer, stovetop, microwave, hot air popper, does not matter how you pop it.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate chips, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent burning.
- Stir in vegetable oil and peppermint extract, mix until lump free.
- Crush your candy canes, we used a resealable plastic bag and whacked with a rolling pin (also relieves tension and built-up aggression too). Whack until you have a rather finely crushed mixture.
- In large bowl add together popped popcorn, melted white chocolate mixture and candy canes. Stir until well blended, add salt to your desired preference.
- Wait a couple of minutes and the white chocolate will begin to gently harden, then dig in. Yield is approximately 10 cups.