Deliciously flavorful Cream Cheese Frosted Grapefruit Cake is a light dessert that gives you the beloved flavor of grapefruit in a dessert that is lovely.
We’re knee-deep in snow this time of the year in Michigan. I’m dreaming of warm tropical breezes and sunshine, something to help take away from the fact that there are 6 more weeks of winter…yes a minimum of 6! When I think of sunshine, I instantly think of the Sunshine State, Florida!
When I was a kid we’d travel there on vacation frequently, always saving room in the car for a few big bags of Florida Grapefruits. Once we arrived home we’d share them with family, friends, and neighbors, giving them the perfect gift from the Sunshine State. Do you know why Florida Grapefruits are so amazing? Let me share a couple of facts with you:
- Florida grapefruit is at its sweetest and juiciest right at the peak of winter (January-March), making it a great source of delicious, ripe fruit at a time when many others are not available.
- Florida’s unique fertile soil and lush subtropical climate are what make Florida grapefruit the sweetest and juiciest variety of grapefruit in the world, but they can also take a toll on the outer appearance of the fruit – don’t judge a book by its cover!
Such great memories, and such a great fruit!
As an adult, I still enjoy buying Florida Grapefruits, with the intention though of giving my family a healthy dining option. I know the “Florida” difference when purchasing grapefruit, the beauty is on the inside. Even though a grapefruit may have imperfections on the outside due to growing conditions, the inside is where the magic happens and it will be the sweetest and juiciest grapefruit in the world.
And talk about healthy, wow just one-half of a Florida Grapefruit provides at least 100% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C, which is amazing for your immune system. Get a natural boost in your energy with essential nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Potassium, and fiber, while enjoying a tasty snack!
I decided to put my baking skills to good use and make a cake with some freshly squeezed juice from some delicious Florida Grapefruits. This Cream Cheese Frosted Grapefruit Cake, not only has grapefruit juice but segmented grapefruit as a bottom layer, more juice in the frosting and then some more segmented slices adorning the top!
The flavor is just perfect, subtle grapefruit undertones that are highlighted by the sweetness of the cream cheese frosting, a wonderful cake that I’m sure you’ll enjoy too! So grab a few Florida Grapefruits, you’ll love the sweet juiciness that they bring to a variety of dishes from salads, to dessert to refreshing breakfast enjoyment!
Other great treats:
Creamy Pineapple Pretzel Dessert
- 3 Florida Grapefruit (this may depend on the size, see below)
- 10 T butter, softened (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 T baking powder
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Spray 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prior to starting to mix cake ingredients. Cut Florida Grapefruit, you will need 1/2 cup of juice for batter plus 1 T for frosting. Segment remaining grapefruits for under batter and to top frosting.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, salt & baking powder, set aside.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next mix in 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice, milk and vanilla extract until mixed. (It will look a tad lumpy, don't worry).
- Add dry ingredients to batter and mix well.
- Make a layer in bottom of prepared pan with 1/2 of segmented grapefruit pieces, I used 8 spaced out evenly. Spread batter over top of grapefruit sections, smooth.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool thoroughly.
- To make frosting: With electric mixer cream the cream cheese with 1 T grapefruit juice until light and fluffy. Add in confectioners sugar gradually until desired consistency is obtained. Spread frosting onto cooled cake.
- Place remaining segmented grapefruit slices on top. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Grapefruit Cake