Don’t do the overly sweet take out – use your slow cooker and make Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork! Way better than take out – and cheaper too!
I am always trying to come up with new ideas for the slow cooker. I like the flavors of asian inspired dishes simmering all day in there, so I decided to try this recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork. Quite honestly, I would never order this at a Chinese restaurant because I think it’s TOO sweet and sticky for my taste – but I wanted to try it on my own – so here comes Sweet and Sour Pork! YUM!
A few notes…I left my green peppers in big half pieces because I didn’t want them to be over done. You could definitely cut them down but they will be more on the “overdone” side 🙂
I also used pre-cut pork (it wasn’t pricey!) it was cut pork loin (almost like pork stew meat). You could use the same, cut a pork loin yourself, or even use boneless pork chops and get the same yummy results – your choice!
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds cut pork loin (or boneless pork chops)
- 2-3 T flour (optional)
- 3 large green peppers sliced in half
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1 6 ounce can pineapple juice
- 1/4 C rice vinegar
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- Optional for a thicker sauce coat pork in flour
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- Place meat and green peppers in slow cooker
- Mix together sugar and pineapple juice to dissolve sugar
- Mix in rest of ingredients to sugar mixture
- Pour over meat and peppers
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low
- Serve with rice
- Another option is to take out some of the liquid and thicken it on the stove
- If freezing, place meat (covered in flour if you desire) and peppers in bag. Follow steps to make the sauce and pour sauce over. Freeze