Who needs take out? Make General Tso’s Slow Cooker Chicken instead! Part of our “7 Meals in 1 Hour” slow cooker/freezer meals post.
We love Chinese food here at my place, but it’s definitely not the healthiest of choices if you’re watching what you’re eating. But, this version is made in the slow cooker instead, which cuts out a lot of the unhealthy stuff but still renders the kick that General Tso’s is known for. For a side dish, I didn’t have jasmine rice on hand so I instead boiled jasmine and green tea bags along with my rice to make my own jasmine rice, which complemented the chicken nicely. Hope you’ll give General Tso’s Slow Cooker Chicken a try – enjoy!
- 2 lb. boneless and skinless chicken
- 5 tsp. minced garlic
- 8 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 6 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 9-oz. package of frozen sugar snap peas, cooked
- If using chicken breasts, cut into medium-sized chunks or strips (not too small); for other sections, use whole piece.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except for the peas.
- Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours (adjust according to your slow cooker's hotness if needed).
- During last half hour of cooking, add peas and stir to coat with sauce.
- Serve over rice.