Delicious holiday cookies with candy cane flavor throughout!
Holiday cookies, gotta love all the varieties out there in the recipe world. We all have our favorites, and these Candy Cane Cookies are definitely a favorite at our house. The crisp flavor of peppermint, and the crunch bits of candy cane in a tender drizzled cookie…yeah, no wonder we love them! These cookies are also a hit when placed on holiday cookie platters, or used in cookie exchanges.
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 cup finely crushed candy canes, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 T milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl beat butter until fluffy, add in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, eating until combined. Next add in extracts and egg, thoroughly combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Slowly add to butter mixture beating until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup finely crushed candy canes by hand.
- Place granulated sugar in small bowl. Roll dough (or use small scoop) into small balls, approximately 1 teaspoonful. Take dough ball & roll into granulated sugar, coating all sides.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet, bake 10-12 minutes. Cool.
- While cookies are baking, combine together remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar with milk. Add only enough milk to form thick glaze. Drizzle over cooled cookies & sprinkle with remaining crushed candy canes.
Original Recipe at: Stolen Moments Cooking