Strawberry Applesauce is a great way to store some fruit in your freezer. It’s tasty, nutritious and your kids will gobble it up!
Yup I’m still making applesauce! We eat it all winter long, and it freezes so beautifully! So this year I’m trying to put in new flavors – especially flavors that my kids won’t eat frozen (they won’t eat frozen strawberries! and they are so expensive if even available all winter).
So I settled on strawberries and apples together – and actually this was delicious. I found no need to add any sugar as it was sweet enough without!
- 30-35 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 8 C strawberries, washed
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 1 T almond extract
- Place apples in big pot and turn on low
- Cook with lid on for 1-2 hours stirring every 20-30 minutes
- When apples are beginning to get soft add in strawberries and give a good stir
- Cook for about another 1/2 hour and then stir in vanilla and almond extracts
- When both strawberries and apples are soft enough begin mashing to your desired consistency (my kids like smooth) I used an immersion blender, but a food processor or regular blender will work
- Store in refrigerator and freeze in zip lock bags for later use