Blogger of the week has become a staple here at Who Needs a Cape! Make sure to check back with us every Sunday to see who we are featuring this week! And if you are a blogger interested in becoming Blogger of the Week email me at Heather@Whoneedsacape.com to join us! Ok on to #41! ~ Heather
1. Your Website? My name is Jessica and I am the woman behind Savory Experiments. I am a cook (not chef) residing in Baltimore, MD. I am a psychotherapist by day and a mad scientist in the kitchen by night. Savory Experiments provides a balance of easy to simple to sophisticated, casual to elegant and healthy to calorie ridden. Most of all, I like to have fun!
2. When did you start blogging? I started blogging in June of 2012 was because hubby and I were undergoing fertility treatment. I needed something to do to keep my mind off of it and something to do while I was on bed rest. My usual evening consisted of going to the gym and then cooking, but many days I had to cut out the gym and couldn’t be on my feet, so I filled the time with blogging. When I started I had never read a food blog. I had no idea the market was saturated or that this could be something I could monetize. It was my therapy to keep my mind of the things that were (or weren’t) happening. We were unsuccessful with starting a family, but Savory Experiments was born!
3. What’s your favorite thing you have published? A to-die-for salmon sandwich that never got traction. It was called the Double Salmon Sandwich with Dill Sour Cream and Caviar and when I tell you it is amazing- IT IS AMAZING! I also really enjoyed writing my post for the Leibster Award .
4. Bloggers you love? That is a hard question! Now I’m sure I’ll unintentionally leave someone out because my list is so stinking long. I love all of my fellow Wednesday Roundup-ers (see here: http://www.savoryexperiments.com/2014/08/wednesday-roundup-39.html), Shauna Smart from The Best Food Blogs and Shannah from Just Us Four Blog are amazing business women and bloggers that I’ve learned a lot from following. Jaime from Loves Bakes Good Cakes, Abbey from Manila Spoon and Mary Beth from MB Things I Love have been my un-official Facebook mentors, although they probably don’t know it cause I just stock their page and learn from their trends. My favorite non-food blog is Just a Trace- funny stories from the dating world!
5. Biggest flop? Biggest success? I’d say my biggest flop was my first giveaway. I singularly hosted it and had no idea what I was doing. I’ve learned since then! My biggest success is that I am now on my local Fox 45 news! I’ve done two segments so far and have been invited back for two more. I’m also doing a cooking demo at the inaugural Baltimore Seafood Festival in September alongside Baltimore’s premiere chefs. It is all a little intimidating, but I think my charm is that I’m a home cook people can relate to. At least that is my story and I’m sticking to it. I’m also very proud of some of the large brands I’ve worked with; Perdue Chicken, KitchenAid, Certified Angus Beef, McCorrmick.
Thanks so much for being a part of blogger of the week! Wish I was in Baltimore so I could check you out on TV! So awesome – also readers – go check out this yummy looking Butternut Squash Soup (pictured below) YUM! And say “hi” from Who Needs a Cape! ~ Heather