If you enjoy Mexican-style food and the ease of casserole dishes, you’re gonna thank me for posting this recipe for Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole! Layers of corn tortillas, chicken, cheese & salsa verde = Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole! This was one of those meals I was actually somewhat happy that my little girls did not want to eat (lets just say they are fussy little ones). That was okay with me, it meant left-overs for a couple of lunches and guess what? I enjoyed it every single time!
Haven’t tried Salsa Verde before? Don’t be frightened, its mild but has a ton of flavor. If you love your slow cooker like we do around here at Who Needs A Cape?, give our Slow Cooker Green Chile Pork Tacos a try sometime, they are amazing! I served this casserole with Homestyle Spanish Rice. Next time maybe I’ll try it with some Roasted Corn Salsa, especially when summer rolls around!
Use whatever method you prefer for shredding chicken. You can even save time by purchasing rotisserie style chicken from the store and shredding the chicken breasts up at home. I like to simmer my chicken breasts in some chicken broth with spices until cooked, let cool down and then transfer to my Kitchen Aid mixer and let it shred the chicken breasts for me. If you have leftover chicken breasts, ideally you just shred them up and add to the onion/garlic mixture. Assembling the layers of this casserole goes really quickly, make sure you do take the time to warm your corn tortillas up in a pan. I think it enhances their flavor and will therefore make the dish taste even yummier.
So if you have a hankering for Mexican, are crunched for time & don’t necessarily want to roll up tortillas for enchiladas, then give this Chicken Salsa Verde Casserole a try, bet you won’t be sorry!
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cooked & shredded
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 oz jar Salsa Verde, divided (I used Herdez brand)
- 8 oz (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Pepper Jack if you like spice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Choose whatever method you prefer for cooking & shredding your chicken. Season if desired with salt/pepper/cumin/garlic salt.
- In medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic. Saute 2-3 minutes until onion is slightly translucent. Add shredded chicken to onion/garlic mixture, stir to combine. Stir in 1/2 cup of Salsa Verde and sour cream. Set aside.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add tortillas one at a time to warm, flipping after approximately 30 seconds. When all 12 tortillas are heated through, cut 8 of the tortillas in 1/2.
- In 9x9 baking dish spread 1 cup of Salsa Verde over the bottom. Place 4 tortilla pieces on top of Salsa Verde, flat edges on exterior of dish. Place one whole tortilla in the middle. Spread chicken mixture over tortillas, next drizzle 1/2 cup of Salsa Verde, sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers, with final layer being only tortilla & cheese. You will have 3 layers of: tortilla,chicken, Salsa Verde & cheese with a final layer of tortilla & cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes, top will brown slightly.
Recipe inspired by: Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole