Everyone knows that green tea is healthy. It has some great health properties. But have you heard about the great things that black tea can do for you?
I learned about them when my husband needed to lower his cholesterol. I started researching on ways that he could do that naturally without drugs and I stumbled upon black tea. Yup plain old “regular” black tea. It lowers your cholesterol (drank without sugar at least).
So here’s a list of some of the health benefits of Black Tea:
- It lowers your cholesterol
- It lowers triglycerides (studies are showing a HUGE impact on triglycerides by drinking 3 glasses of black tea – no cream or sugar – a week)
- It’s full of anti-oxidants
- It may lower certain types of cancer risks namely breast, stomach and colon. Research is continuing on it stopping cancer growths
- It generally improves your cardiovascular health
- Fights inflammation in the body
- Drinking decaf unsweetened tea is just good for you whether it’s black or green. It is a low calorie/calorie free drink. Replacing a sweetened drink with tea will help you lose weight.
- May have an effect on your glucose levels, lowering your risk of developing diabetes.
What qualifies as a “black” tea? Most of the teas we drink ARE black. It should say it on the label – but here are some of the more popular options:
- Earl Grey
- Darjeeling tea
- English Breakfast
- Lapsang Souchong
I know that for my husband in particular, he will drink tea cold with no sweetener. If he has hot tea he loves it with milk and a pinch of sugar. Since the milk and sugar may lower some of the health benefits of the tea I have taken to making him “sun” tea. It’s so easy and a great drink to have in the fridge for the summer. Here’s how I made it:
- 10-12 bags of black tea (I used decaf)
- 15-16 cups of water
- 1 glass jar
- 1 lemon
- Fill the glass jar with cold water
- Float the tea bags into the water
- Secure lid and set out in the sun for several hours until tea looks dark enough to your liking
- Remove tea bags
- Place cut up lemon wedges into tea and refrigerate