I joined a new group called the Surprise Recipe Swap. Every month I am assigned to a different blog to pick any recipe from and blog about it! Someone else has me every month too, so it’ll be fun to see what they choose from our blog
. This is the first month of it and I was assigned to Dessert Now, Dinner Later
! Amber has a ton of delicious dessert recipes, but unfortunately I decided to try grain free again at the beginning of this year. I didn’t want to completely change one of her recipes, so I picked one of her main dishes. I chose her recipe for Ikea’s Swedish Meatballs. I love love love Ikea and have always wanted to try their meatball dinner. I don’t know how close this comes to the actual meal at Ikea, but it is so good anyway! To make these grain free, I used almond flour in place of the breadcrumbs and the flour and then I served them over mashed potatoes/cauliflower. So so so good, you must put this on your next meal plan!
Take-Out Fake-Out: IKEA’s Swedish Meatballs
For the Meatballs:
- 3/4 cup Progresso Italian Style Bread Crumbs (sub almond flour if grain free)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup onion, minced or small dice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 16 oz ground beef
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white, beaten
For the Sauce:
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (sub almond flour if grain free)
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth (or bouillon+water to equal 3 cups)
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried Parsley
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Add bread crumbs to a large bowl. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add onion, garlic, allspice, 1 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper; cook until onion is tender.
- Whisk in milk & Worcestershire sauce & bring to a simmer.
- Pour mixture over the breadcrumbs & stir to make a thick paste; allow to cool, then mix in the ground beef, egg & egg white with a fork until well combined.
- Place foil on a large baking sheet & coat with pan spray. Roll the meat into 1-inch balls & place close, but not touching on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 400*F for 15-20 min or until cooked through to centers.
- Start your gravy: melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth, whisk in beef broth & Worcestershire sauce; bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in cream & dried parsley; add the cooked meatballs. Reduce heat to medium low & simmer about 10 minutes.